Hellenic Centre – 10450 116 Street, Edmonton AB , July 20 & 21, 2013
The Edmonton chapter of the Progressive Librarians Guild (PLG) is hosting a two-day workshop in Edmonton on July 20 and 21 entitled the Rise with the Ranks Workshop.
The Rise with the Ranks Workshop is predicated on the principle that library and information workers should not strive to rise from the ranks but rather rise with the ranks, to paraphrase Eugene Debs. We believe that cooperative, non-hierarchical methods of organization are essential to the social justice ideals embraced by our profession. Therefore, the purpose of the Rise with the Ranks Workshop is to:
- provide a counter to hierarchical, business models of management within the library and information industry;
- equip participants with the skills and tools needed to affect meaningful change within the industry and wider society;
- foster a specific worker identity among library and information workers;
- build a workers’ movement within the library and information industry based on collaboration and solidarity; and
- encourage the growth of self-management, egalitarianism, and worker empowerment within the library and information industry.
The workshop will consist of skill-share sessions, discussions, training sessions, and more. For the full program description, please see the Program page.
The workshop is being offered free of charge. However, space is limited so the Edmonton PLG invites all interested information workers to apply for admission on the Registration page.